cars
Image: Getty via Unsplash +

Poland bans Chinese-made cars from entering military sites

Senior commanders in the Polish Army have issued new rules preventing vehicles manufactured in China from entering protected military facilities due to information security concerns, an army spokesperson announced Tuesday.

The instruction to commanders to keep affected cars outside of secured perimeters comes amid growing concerns over motor vehicle network equipment and supply chains that routinely record location and other data.

Vehicle Connectivity Systems with ties to China or Russia have been banned from being sold in the United States, even if manufactured domestically. Electric vehicles with Chinese components have also been banned from British military sites.

A spokesperson for the Polish Army said the country’s move followed a military risk assessment focused on the way modern cars’ sensors and software could be used to collect sensitive information.

Banning the entry of Chinese-made cars to sensitive sites is intended to tackle the risks posed by the “growing integration of digital systems in vehicles and the potential for uncontrolled acquisition and use of data by these systems,” the spokesperson said.

It does not affect the wider public use of these vehicles in Poland. The spokesperson stressed the measures were preventative in nature and consistent with best practices used by NATO countries and other allies.

Additional restrictions are to be imposed on other vehicles manufactured outside of China if they are “equipped with integral or additional devices enabling the recording of position, image, or sound,” as this equipment is deemed to pose a potential security risk.

The Polish Army’s chief of staff has submitted a request to the country’s Ministry of Defence that would establish specific legal and technical requirements for car manufacturers to be certified for use on sensitive sites.

Get more insights with the
Recorded Future
Intelligence Cloud.
Learn more.
Recorded Future
No previous article
No new articles
Alexander Martin

Alexander Martin

is the UK Editor for Recorded Future News. He was previously a technology reporter for Sky News and a fellow at the European Cyber Conflict Research Initiative, now Virtual Routes. He can be reached securely using Signal on: AlexanderMartin.79