Ukraine arrests operator of DDoS botnet with 100,000 bots
Ukrainian law enforcement announced the arrest of a suspect on accusations of running a giant malware botnet of more than 100,000 infected systems.
Authorities said the suspect used their botnet to launch DDoS attacks, send spam, brute-force user account passwords, scan networks for vulnerabilities, and exploit them.
The arrest was announced today by the Security Service of Ukraine (SSU):
- The suspect’s name was not released.
- The arrest took place in the Ivano-Frankivsk region, in the Kolomyia district.
- SSU officers searched the suspect’s house and seized their computer equipment.
- SSU said the suspect had advertised their services via Telegram and closed-access forums.
- The suspect took payment via WebMoney, a Russian money transfer platform banned in Ukraine.
It is unclear to which malware botnet the suspect arrested in Ukraine is connected. An SSU spokesperson did not return a request for comment.