Government

State Department launches new cyber bureau

The State Department on Monday launched a new cybersecurity bureau, ending a years-long saga over how the U.S. could bolster digital diplomacy and online standards around the world.

The Bureau of Cyberspace and Digital Policy, which is the amalgamation of three previously existing teams, “will address the national security challenges, economic opportunities, and implications for U.S. values associated with cyberspace, digital technologies, and digital policy,” the department said in a statement.

Jennifer Bachus, a career diplomat who most recently served as a senior official at the U.S. embassy in the Czech Republic, will lead the new organization as a principal deputy assistant secretary until President Joe Biden nominates a permanent chief, who will hold the rank of ambassador-at-large. 

Michele Markoff, another long-time diplomat, will lead the cyberspace security team and Stephen Anderson will helm the bureau’s communications and information policy team, according to the department.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken gave a speech behind closed-doors today to mark the bureau’s launch. The event was attended by Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency chief Jen Easterly.

Today’s launch caps a long-running policy debate over how much emphasis Foggy Bottom should give to its cybersecurity mission. Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson demoted the department’s cyber office in 2017, prompting howls from Capitol Hill.

His successor, Mike Pomeo, made an attempt to revive the mission in the final days of the Trump administration but the effort was considered half-hearted by observers and veteran officials.

Meanwhile, House lawmakers passed various legislative fixes to create an empowered cyber bureau, as did the congressionally-chartered Cyberspace Solarium Commission.

The newly-minted office starts its work as U.S. and world leaders fret about cyberattacks spilling out of Russia’s unprovoked invasion of neighboring Ukraine. The administration is laboring on several fronts to shore up federal networks and bolster the private sector against the kind of ransomware attacks that dominated 2021.

President Biden requested $37 million for the new bureau in the fiscal 2023 budget proposal unveiled last week. In addition to combining existing staffs, the department hopes to hire 50 additional employees.

Martin Matishak

Martin is a senior cybersecurity reporter for The Record. He spent the last five years at Politico, where he covered Congress, the Pentagon and the U.S. intelligence community and was a driving force behind the publication's cybersecurity newsletter.

Recent Posts

US agencies announce initiatives to crack down on ransomware

CISA announced plans for a Joint Ransomware Task Force, while the DOJ said it is…

2 days ago

Tesla, Microsoft and Ubuntu bugs found during Pwn2Own hacking competition

Several bugs in Microsoft, Ubuntu and Tesla products were found and exploited during the three-day…

2 days ago

Nikkei becomes latest major news outlet hit with ransomware

Investigators are trying to determine the nature and scope of an incident involving Nikkei's Asia…

2 days ago

Russian government procured powerful botnet to shift social media trending topics

Researchers at Nisos said the Fronton botnet was primarily developed “for coordinated inauthentic behavior on…

3 days ago

Notorious cybercrime gang Conti ‘shuts down,’ but its influence and talent are still out there

The group's web presence was officially just a shell as of May 19. But pinning…

3 days ago

EU data protection authority raises alarm over UN cybercrime treaty negotiations

Russian-backed cybercrime convention negotiations have long concerned human rights advocates.

3 days ago