Cybercrime

Australia’s second-largest telco confirms cyberattack

Australia’s second-largest telecommunications company, Optus, announced Thursday it is “investigating the possible unauthorized access of current and former customers’ information” following a cyberattack.

Although the company itself said it could not yet confirm how many customers may have been impacted by the breach, The Australian newspaper reported that it could be up to nine million.

The Sydney-based company’s statement claimed it “immediately shut down the attack” as soon as it was discovered, although it did not detail what the attack involved, nor if hackers had been present on its networks for an extended period of time.

Payment details and account passwords were unaffected, the company said, however chief executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin said that personally identifying information including names, dates of birth, phone numbers and email addresses may have been exposed.

In some cases customers’ postal addresses, driving license numbers and passports may also have been accessed by the attackers, Bayer Rosmarin confirmed.

She apologized for the incident in an interview with the country’s public broadcaster ABC and said Optus would be proactively contacting high-risk customers.

In the company’s statement, Bayer Rosmarin said: “We are devastated to discover that we have been subject to a cyberattack that has resulted in the disclosure of our customers’ personal information to someone who shouldn’t see it.”

The company said it was working with the Australian Cyber Security Centre and has notified the Australian Federal Police and the country’s data protection regulator, alongside others.

“Optus has also notified key financial institutions about this matter,” the company’s statement added.

“While we are not aware of customers having suffered any harm, we encourage customers to have heightened awareness across their accounts, including looking out for unusual or fraudulent activity and any notifications which seem odd or suspicious,” it said.

Alexander Martin

Alexander Martin is the UK Editor for Recorded Future News. He was previously a technology reporter for Sky News and is also a fellow at the European Cyber Conflict Research Initiative.

Recent Posts

Ransomware attack on Indianapolis Housing Agency leaks sensitive info on 200,000 residents

The Indianapolis Housing Agency is notifying more than 200,000 people that their information, including Social…

9 hours ago

New York’s Andrew Garbarino takes helm of House’s cybersecurity subcommittee

New York Republican Andrew Garbarino has been chosen as the new chairman of the House's…

11 hours ago

TSA issues security directive to airports, carriers after ‘no-fly’ list leak

The Transportation Security Administration has issued a security directive to all U.S. airports and air…

13 hours ago

Russian foreign ministry claims to be the target of ‘coordinated’ cyber aggression

Russia’s deputy foreign minister claimed this weekend that the country has been the target of…

17 hours ago

British retailer JD Sports reveals 2-year-old intrusion affecting data of 10 million customers

British sportswear retailer JD Sports announced Monday that data belonging to approximately 10 million unique…

17 hours ago

How Ukraine’s Cyber Police fights fraud, scams, and attacks on critical infrastructure

Editor’s note: Ukraine’s Cyber Police had a busy year in 2022. The law enforcement agency…

1 day ago